Monday, August 2, 2010

Medium Format KIT


As promised here is a breakdown of my medium format kit.

Digital Back
So what I have here is the Phase One P30+ digital back. Its a crop sensor digital back, which does slightly crop the focal length of my lenses, but it does allow me to shoot up to 1600 ISO. Although I rarely go above 800 ISO.



Body
I use the Mamiya AFD2 body. Its actually a not the greatest body to use, I am planning on getting the AFD3 body in due time. The problem is that the shutter sync on the AFD 2, gives me a slight delay which can be annoying, and the AF is a single point, which sucks. So at times I have to resort to manual focus. Not the end of the world but, annoying none the less.  


Lenses,
 I use the 35mm 2.8 which is like a 20mm in SLR terms. Then the 80mm 2.8, which is like the 50mm in SLR terms And I use the 210mm, which is like a 170 in SLR terms. For me this is a nice focal range that allows me to pretty much shoot anything I want.



Batteries
The Phase One backs really eat alot of Juice, so much so that I need to carry 3 batteries for a day shoot. So 3 batteries is a minimum. Alot of people dont realize this when getting into an MF system, and then are hit with an $90/batt price tag.



Light Meter
I rarely use a light meter when shooting SLR, but when shooting medium format its a must. I use the SEKONIC dual spot and ambient light meter.



Bag
I use a think tank bag, smaller but i find a little more durable then Lowepro bags. In it I always carry parking money, cards, a sharpie, AA batteries..



Memory Cards
For this kit I also use the 16gig sandisk 3.



Additional
When shooting MF I also use alot of things from my 35mm kit like "Pocket Wizards", Sunglasses, Lanyard, Color Checker, Polarizer etc...

1 comment:

Rob Trudeau said...

Ahhh, sweet, sweet medium format, one day you will be mine.