Thursday, August 12, 2010

DeFazio Biscotti

DeFaszio Biscotti.

Last week, or something like that... (the past few weeks have seemed to all blend together in a mishmash of work) I shot some product images for DeFazio's tradeshow booth. They are one of Canada's leading gourmet biscotti makers and you can (or could find their product in various coffee houses across Canada including second cup chains)

When Angela the owner inquired about a shoot she informed me that everything they do is handmade, and she took a lot of pride in that fact. So when I was planning on how to shoot, I knew I didn't want her images to be over styled only to be lost in galaxy of props. I wanted to keep it simple. Technically I wanted to have the images really sharp to show every detail of the handmade product when enlarged 6-8 feet tall.
We also shot some of the baking process as well.
(What I love about this picture is his fingers.His fingers suggests he is being respecful towards the product)
Which was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed shooting this because it was so authentic. Carmine (Angela's husband) was the main baker.

(Carmine measuring the dough)
Carmine is an old school Italian. No messin' around. He went about his routine and did his thing.  He  made me work for my photographs. There was no setting up shots, no slowing down his work.  There was no mistake I was in his house. I kind of felt like a kid who was meeting a girlfriends old school Italian dad for the first time; respectful and cautious.

I didnt dare ask him to stop and re do something for the photograph let alone smile while working 
But I liked that. I feel like the photographs from the process are very real. Setting up lights and recreating the process just wouldn't have worked in this situation.
(hand dipped...)
Technically lighting the scene may have worked, but I think too often photographers fall on technical skills to create a photograph rather than capturing life unfolding in front of them. I think had I light this series the photos would have felt contrived and forced.


trevor setting up some additional product
Anyways enjoy!

C

No comments: