Tuesday, August 24, 2010

DAY 2 of 9 Product on Location

No Transcend coffee this morning so the first half of the morning was a little rough.  
Today we basically shot the whole day (8hrs) for Matt Aubin over at Pure Vision.
(basically my view since 8am)
We shot a wide range of window products that proved to be quite a challenge and a long process to complete.
We shot on white seamless, but the product (large windows) were also white. So we really needed the dynamic range for PV's team to do their thing with the final images. I ended up shooting on the Phase One so the quality was there right from the start.

(nat cleaning windows, her view since 8 am)
Cant wait to see what the gang at PV does with the images!
Locations are always a challenge because you are basically bringing everything with you and you have to be prepared for everything. We shot on Elinchrom power packs and AC Elinchrom 600 heads.
8am-4pm then right to the studio to process the images.
Day 3 tomorrow, Fashion spread for Derks formals. 8am bright and early!

5 comments:

DarkByke said...

Do these clients just call your studio and book jobs, or are you referred in other methods? Wondering how you made the jump from starting out, to getting full time gigs.

Curtis Comeau said...

Hey Link,

Most clients just call me and get me to quote. But they have already an idea of who I am when they call. For me its based on who you know. I think the best thing I ever did was leave Canada and work in other markets Taiwan, Paris, Toronto and Vancouver. Alot of dudes dont like hearing that, the other thing is sticking it out when times are tough. For me I was pretty broke at 25 and life looked pretty bleak... then it just all turned around by the time I was 27... 712 days later and life looked pretty good. So sitck it out.

DarkByke said...

Thanks so much! That's pretty much my position at the moment. I am based in Edmonton, and had plans of moving out to Toronto in the future, so no problems there about switching markets. I appreciate the honest advice and all your latest posts here :)

Curtis Comeau said...

No worries man.

Keep your head up, and dont be discouraged by the money. I know things can look bleak at times, but remember a full time pro career in photography is life long journey, its not a short term thing. The other thing is dont read too many blogs and stuff. The reason is that everyone is "cool" online, and it can really discourage you. I seriously stay away from other blogs and photographer sites. They bum me out because I see everyones sites and am like, man I wish I could be that good someday.

DarkByke said...

Best piece of advice I've ever gotten so far! So very true.