Sunday, May 1, 2011

More Technical Detail

Hope all is well with everyone.
I am going to post a few images from shoots that show a diverse discipline range. I am going to revert back to what I did in the past and discribe my shooting techniques and tech details with every image I post.
In this post you will see some Food photography from Century Hospitality, A story on Air Travel in Denver CO, Commercial Hair Product Packaging photos from Eveline Charles Salons, a stock image purchased from me for travel story on Egypt and interiors for Vons Steak House.


Add caption
This image was shot on seamless.... I used 4 lights, and a reflector. My client wanted to see the "shine" on the girls hair that the product produced. So I went with hard light. No beauty dish here. Just standard reflectors on my Elinchrom ranger heads.

Same set up as the image above.


 
The creative for this Air Travel sotry was simply Glam images of airplanes. So all I really needed was access... thats what the biggest challenge was... So I armed myself with various telephotos and a bunch of granola bars and went to work.
 

Food...... 14 dishes in 3 hrs. We ended up shooting on white to ensure the food would POP. I wanted to food to have a sense of grandeur.... So I ended up shooting low angles and tight.



I also didnt want to shoot that shallow depth of field look that almost every cook book looks like today. Its not that I dont like the shallow DOP look, infact I shoot it alot, but in this case I wanted something that had some "pop"
 
 
Vons is a steak house... so to me it said "warm" interiors. On this particular photo, I shot metering on the ambient light on the window and used a large Elinchrom Octa-bank to fill the scene. I ended up dodging the VONS carpet in post to make it pop a bit. I ended up using the ranger packs because I hate dragging around power cords when shooting interiors.

I often get emails from magazines wondering if I have any stock of specific countries to stories they are running. So rather than sending someone to say Egypt to shoot, editors often contact photographers who have worked in that country and see of they have any one off stock images they can purchase.



People often think that istock is a good option, but its really a big nono for editors. The main reason is that same image can be used the next day for any possible use. When I usually am contacted its to purchase and image for a 3month period.

This was the case when I was asked by an editor I know quite well. He specifically wanted a photograph of the Sphinx... but he wanted it from a different perspective, and not the traditional view. I send him my contact sheets and he choose this one. Shooting this was like most of my travel. Natural light, most likely a 24-70 on the 1DsMARK3. Probably at ISO 800.
Hope you enjoyed this post!
C

No comments: