Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Travel Crazyness


Hope everyone is doing well.

Colleagues and other photographers often comment on how lucky I am to get to travel and working in other cities.

(breakfast in YEG and checking out my maps for the following 48hrs)

It goes without saying that when you have a job that takes you somewhere cool and the budget allows for 5-7 days then yes it’s a very pleasurable experience.

However more often than not, time and budget are very real factors one has to consider. Or you often need to make a hasty return home to shoot another project.

(god I hope my gear arrives) 

I recently booked two shoots in Vancouver and Ladysmith BC on Vancouver Island for Canadian Wildlife Magazine.  Sounded like a nice trip, but in reality it turned into a rush job with little breathing room. You see editorial budgets are not huge so you have to factor in the time it takes to shoot the project.

(this is Otto, hes my first subject) 

This is a very common situation I am faced with. Here is what the past 48hrs looked like.

May 24
530am - wake up
6am - leave for airport
630am – arrive at YEG and get into argument with WestJet employee about carry on weight allowance
730am - Quiznos turkey sub and Starbucks espresso – healthy breakfast.
930am - arrive Vancouver proceed to BC Ferry to double check my reservation for May 25morning because BC Ferry’s automated phone system sucks.
11am - Depart BC ferry and proceed to Otto’s house (My first subject)
1pm - Arrive at Otto’s house (my first subject)
3pm – Leave Otto’s house, download, edit and respond to emails.
6pm – Eat at my favorite Sushi Place.
7pm – Get home, watch the hockey game and go to bed.

(downloading before dinner) 

(sushi at one of my favourite spots, this cost 6$)


May 25
530am – Wake up, shower leave for the Ferry
630am – Arrive at Ferry on hour before departure, sleep in car.
(view from the Ferry... moments before I fell a sleep) 

745am – Pull my car onto the ferry departing for Nanaimo and sleep for the 2hr ride.
10am – Arrive in Nanaimo and drive to Ladysmith to meet my Subjects
11am – Hook up with subjects and head down to bog for the shoot

(making my subjects wade through the creek)

130pm – Finish shoot with subjects and head around town for some food and for some pick up shots.

(Ladysmith Pick up shot)

(Ladysmith Pick up shot)

230pm – Haul ass back to Ferry to make it on in time because if I miss it I miss my flight.
330pm - Pull on to Ferry, download, edit and sleep.
550pm – Arrive in Vancouver head directly to the airport.
730pm  – All checked in, waiting for my flight, at the Bar, with Honey brown Ale, writing this post.

May 26
11am - I have a shoot in studio, then another shoot for Graham Construction at 3pm.

If you enjoyed this, next week Ill be in Ottawa Ontario and heading up to Val Dor Quebec to shoot in a gold mine. 5.5 hrs driving each way. I promise to do a post on that as well.  

No comments: