Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AMA and yummmmyyy Food.

For the past few years I have been commissioned to photograph the membership guide of the Alberta Medical Association. It's quite an enjoyable project to shoot and I look forward to it every year. I get a chance to work with an experienced art director and for a client who allows me to pretty much shoot what I want.




My direction changes from year to year. I end up shooting one year with hard light, the other with soft light, sometimes with tungsten while other with strobe. I want to keep the look fresh and modern.



The biggest challenge is shooting the Executive group photo. Everyone is very nice, but I'm just not a group photo shooter, so I have to plan carefully and in advance to ensure we get a shot that works.



This series was shot with Elinchrom ranger strobes, gelled with half cut CTO gels to warm up the photographs. I used soft boxes on every image, with no back light. I wanted the images to have an organic look to them.



I also shot handheld, with my Canon 1ds MARK 3 and mostly on my 85mm 1.2. The biggest challenge is that my art director really wants clean backgrounds, so I always have to keep wide eyes, and ensure there are no stray things lying around.



I just shot food for a Greek restaurant called Koutouki, which was featured on a TV series called "Family Restaurant". I will post more next week here is a teaser.



Enjoy!

No comments: