Wednesday, May 18, 2011

This is Sidney, shot in studio, and on location.

 Here's a bizarre story.



Sid's beginning her career as a realtor for Adam Dirksen. So Adam hired me to shoot her for her new ad materials. Sid showed up, sat in and we began shooting... naturally in a portrait session we started chatting, realizing only much later that we had worked together 3 weeks earlier on a medium cap advertising campaign.



Sid was one of the models on the 2011 Hudson's Tap House advertising campaign I shot that will span across Western Canada.

What was bizarre is that I had no idea who she was when she showed up nor did she recognize me.



It happens a lot when I'm shooting. I am so focused on getting a photograph for my art director that I have little or no time to interact with the subjects of a personal level, so It's just a blur...

What didn't help was that the 2011 Hudson's campaign was shot with the 200mm 2.0. The 2.0 is a kick ass lens but you need distance...so I basically just hid behind it, and had my assistant translate my direction to the talent... one of which was Sidney.



I had just flew in that morning from Vancouver, hauled ass to the Grant MacEwan University for 1pm to teach my studio class, then hauled ass to Hudson's Tap House for 5:30 to shoot the campaign, so when we were wrapped, I was bagged and ended up taking off pretty quick, not taking a lot of time to chat with all of the talent we were using.



Because of my horrific short term memory I am terrible with names, so I ended up giving the girls for the Hudson's shoot fun nick names; Its lightens the mood and makes people laugh... "blond", "stripes", " Thoroughbred"... So often I don't really end up knowing the real names of the talent...

I thought I would post these because I really dig the look of these portraits

No comments: