Monday, November 29, 2010

North Shore DAY 1


Despite the off and on rain, today proved to be an excellent day of shooting which produced a nice series of photographs documenting the culture of the North Shore.



I began my day shooting a family at their fruit stand. They specialize in deep fried bananas, selling every kind of locally grown fruit and bbqued pork kebabs. Most of the visitors to the roadside stand were locals, but there were several members of the Hawaii 5 0 TV crew visiting as well. Tourists stayed for the most part away from the stand, which suited the locals just fine.



Next I spent a good half of the day at the pipeline shooting portraits and candid’s. I didn’t even shoot any surfing, because the waves were only 4 feet tall. 






After that I hit up Ted’s bakery for a banana chocolate cream pie. Again a place recommended to me by almost every North Shoriean I met.



While eating my slice of pie, an unshaven guy with no shoes, no shirt and a half-baked look walked in and got full service.  He ended up sitting at my table and we struck up a conversation. I named this guy The Angry North Shoriean – TANS.

TANS was about 40 years old, smelled of pungent weed and sported an sketchy unkept beard. During our conversation TANS ended up complaining about everything in life, but he revealed his real pet peeves were tourists. When I asked TANS why he hated tourists? His response was because they always stole the good waves. 

(this is TANS posing for a quick portrait) 

After meeting TANS I headed back to the house, download and waited for the sunset. 



No comments: