Sunday, November 28, 2010

North Shore pre shoot

(the office for the next few days, off to the right is a very popular local spot for surfing. the pipeline is about a 10min walk to the left.) 

I am shooting the next 7 days at the North Shore on the Hawaiian island of Oahu this week. I need to document the North Shore surf culture for a cool travel publication. 

(jamies pink bedroom.. I love how the bed is on a raised pedestal) 

I arrived two days ago and spent them getting everything in order, chatting with people and getting my bearings. Jamie Coutts hooked up a super cool place, which backs out right on the beach, so the temporary office is pretty cool. 



I also spent a lot of the second day installing software on my new MacBook Pro (it’s a tiny 13inch), which I bought just before I left for the airport. I ended up piking up the 13 inch because I have two 17inch MB pros, but they are just too big to keep hauling around on travel shoots and Eva was shooting this weekend and needed them at the studio.   

(This is a stray cat named Chester who wandered in the house... We thought he seemed cool so hes hanging with us for the week)

I have to vent, I really don’t enjoy flying United Airlines anymore. Their fleet is very old. Their flight coming from SanFran to Honolulu still had ashtray holders in their armrests and the seats are very uncomfortable.  I didn’t book or pay for my flights so I get that I shouldn’t have complained, but its just I have flown over 120 flights in the last 8 years and by far United is the worst.  Air Canada on average gives the unfriendliness service, but their fleet is upgraded and they don’t charge you $25 per bag. 

(applejacks and banana muffin, great start to the day) 

Anyways tomorrow I start shooting I am very excited to finally get cracking and building my story.  I am not going to shoot the actual surfing because I am told by the locals that the swell is low right now, but it its supposed to pickup by Monday. So I dont want to waste my time shooting something when I will just reshoot it all again anyways. 

C
  

No comments: