Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Barbados Images that didnt make the Cut...

 
 
When I say Barbados chances are an image of a serene peaceful Caribbean beach suggesting relaxation or retirement pops into your head. The great travel marketing machine has conditioned us to form these pre conceived notions of Caribbean Islands...



I understand this thought process, how it has come to be, and harbor no ill will to it. I make my living contributing these types of images to the people who create these preconceived notions of a Caribbean Island, which allow corporations to inevitably vye for your hard earned vacation money.




When selling an Island through a photograph, the locals are almost always forgotten or purposefully left out of the image. And when they are included, it's usually quite contrived. They are always wearing a clean pressed white or beige shirt with a brightly light "resort logo" on the upper left hand side. The local is often holding a tray full for brightly colored drinks sporting a bright white toothy smile as if to say "welcome we are waiting for you in paradise".





With that said I have decided to post some not so typical touristic images shot in Barbados that well for obvious reasons didn't make the cut...



I find this series is still beautiful and are no less true to reality as other photographs I contrived to capture when shooting travel.



This series was shot in Christ Church along the southern tip of the Island of Barbados along the Silver Sands beach. I spent 3 days shooting there, and by far these are my favorite photographs from the shoot. They were shot on Ilford Delta 400 pushed +2 stops.

No comments: