Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shooting NHL Hockey for Rogers SportsNet


I had been told that shooting NHL hockey was going to be very very difficult, but I found it quite easy.



The hockey at the NHL level is incredibly fast and you need top end lenses to shoot it, but the biggest challenge of all was the lighting in the Rexall arena, which I was told by other camera guys is one of the worst in the NHL. (because its low lighting).



I really hope that Edmonton ends up getting a new arena.



A few months ago I was shooting the BlackEyedPeas for Blackberry, and some of the reps from the US were really un impressed with REXALL place. The city of Edmonton tax payers really should get on board and support a new arena.



Anyways the reason I found shooting NHL hockey easy is because I still play hockey on a regular basis. Albeit the NHL is much faster than the hockey I play, my experience allowed me to anticipate the plays and things like which way a player was going to turn or which way he was going to shoot the puck... so I knew not to waste time on say a right handed shot cutting to the middle because he would inevitably turn away from me.



I actually found shooting taekwondo in Beijing much more difficult and challenging.



My assignment from Rogers Sports net was to shoot ISO's on the selected players, so I couldn't really shoot wider to "tell the story" if you will.




I did stray a little and shoot candid things like Paajarvi lining up for a faceoff, and the Goalie Khabibulin taking a break drinking water. Although Sports net didn't need any of these I thought they would be good to shoot regardless.



Enjoy!



C

No comments: