Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Standard 35mm Equipment Kit

Hey Gang,
EQUIPMENT BAG
Thought I would post something a little more fun on the blog. A lot of people email me about little questions regarding my photography gear, what lights I use and what I carry in my bag. So I am for this post I am going to share what's in my standard 35mm kit. Keep in mind depend ding on what I am shooting, I will add a few things and take out others, but for the most part this is what's on me at all times.
1. Focal Range. I like a wide focal range, so I use basically the Canon 16-35mm 2.8; Canon 24-70mm 2.8; Canon 85mm 1.2; Canon 70-200mm IS 2.8 (Which I am strongly considering going back to the 2.8 NON IS version, as the IS version is much heavier) Canon 15mm Fisheye 2.8 (which I rarely use, but I still carry it). I also have a 50mm 1.2, but almost never use it... so it stays at home.

2. BODY. I use the Canon 1DS MARK 3. I am very happy with this camera. Mine is quite literally beat to S*#T, but it still works just great.

3. Often Looked Over Gear. As photographers we are often talking to people really close to us so GUM is a must. You would be surprised how many art directors tell me about other shooters Coffee Breath. Next is sunglasses. I carry polarized RayBan aviators. Its not so much a fashion statement, but the lenses are great ; they are not cheap Chinese plastic that will inevitably burn your retinas, and I can shoot outdoors with them on, without poor visibility. Finally a Lanyard. When shooting places you need access, I always lose the little "badges" so a lanyard allows me to stuff it in and wear it around my neck.

4. Make Pics Look Pretty - Color Checker and Polarizer. If you don't carry these, get them, now. They really help.

5. Batteries; Ok I use rechargeable to "help the environment" but they really suck and a really unreliable, so I carry in the "RED CASE" a set of Full AA Energizers... But in this case crappy Duracell's... which suck, but I was in a pinch in Vancouver and that's all the 7-11 had... $10 for 4 crappy Duracell's.. Coppertops dont last!

6. Flash and Triggers. I always use pocket wizards. They are pretty reliable to trigger my Elinchrom Strobes. I also use Canon 580 EX and EX2 flash heads... Then I always... and always carry a long sync cord... I always carry an old school sync cord  because sometimes I leave my pocket wizards in my medium format bag... leaving me with no way to trigger strobes... If you ever see me shooting with a sync cord its because I forgot the pocket wizards..

7. Memory Cards. I shoot with 16 GB and 8GB SanDisk mem cards. You will notice a 1GB "Oh Shit" Card I carry buried deep into my bag...I hope to never see it unless I am cleaning my bag, This "OH SHIT" card is used only when the words " I forgot my memory cards at the studio" are uttered to my assistant.   

8. TAPE... oh my god this is one of the most important pieces of gear in my bag. Its been used for everything for placing a mark, repairing my 1ds3, placing flashes in hard to reach places, taping up scrims and gels pretty much everything.
So yeah that's pretty much my Tools of the trade.
In a bit I will post my Medium format kit, which is much less and a lot cleaner than my 35mm kit.
Enjoy!
C

No comments: