Monday, May 17, 2010

Veterans Parade



Last week I ended up shooting a WW2 Veterans day parade for the liberation of Holland for the City of Edmonton. I quite enjoy shooting live media events for the City, first off its a nice change of pace from my commercial routine. Second I get to hang out with the daily shooters for about an hour. I am always amazed at how fast daily guys work. Its like show up, shoot, leave...




Some of them are really cool. Some have huge egos and look down on commercial guys but it's fun all the same. One of my favorites daily guys in Edmonton is Perry Mah from the SUN. No ego and really laid back... for a p-journalist you don't really notice him a whole lot, and he always makes time to chat. He's kind of like this old warhorse who's seen it all, and really doesn't get fired up over much.
Anyways in addition to photographing the event, I ended up chatting a lot of the veterans.





I was quite moved by some of their stories and sacrifices they made. At one point I was talking to this gent and was overwhelmed by this feeling of inadequacy almost like a fraud of a human. While he was talking "when im 90 what the hell am I going to have to say about my life??? I have never been part of liberating a nation or people and never really fought for a cause of any significant sacrifice. Kind of sad when you think about it...
I guess there is no point to this blog, im just rambling again, but I felt like I had to share it.



Tomorrow I am going to get one of those support the troop stickers for the people who are doing their best to make places like Kabul a safer city.



C

No comments: