Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Camera Review...



I have been taking alot of cool pictures lately... really I have, but it kind of sucks I cant release them, because most have been for editorial purposes. Today we just finished shooting quarter back Rickey Ray for a style Q&A, and I'm really happy with the results. I will be posting some of the preproduction, behind the scenes and images from the shoot once its out in July.

So I thought I would post some images from a late night visit to a sketchy California Diner. I was actually testing the ISO of the 5DMk2. Yes I know the 5D2 has been out for a while... but I have never picked one up. I use the 1Ds series cameras and medium format Phase One backs. I usually stayaway from consumer or "pro-sumor" cameras... but I have heard some many great things about the 5D2 I had to try it.

FYI these photos are shot on 3200-6400 ISO (sick, just sick)




My results... Holy crap Canon really out did themselves with the 5D2. The image quality is very good, interface is typical canon -really great, sensor dust removal is equally as good, but the ISO noise range is what makes the camera. Now finally Canon is on the level playing field with NIKON.


DINERS...


I will say the body construction is rather flimsy compared to the 1dsMk3. But just fine compared to 95% of the SLRs out there. I just kept thinking for alot of my travel work, I would really question its durability. Sure hanging out in a tour bus in Mexico it will be fine, but trucking across a sandstorm in Jordan or hitting up the humidity in Guatemalan jungles... im not so sure.



Now me being a bitch... the 5D2's shutter doesn't really sound like a shutter to me. At least not like the pro 1DS series. It sounds like a digital shutter as opposed to a mechanical shutter. The weight was also a concern for me. I started shooting back in 2000 with the 1V film bodys, so I like to hold heavy cameras, and the 5D2 was just a little too small. I know Im being a bitch...
Either way, a great camera for the price.
Oh and the eggs at 1am were great.
C

No comments: