Saturday, October 17, 2009

Edmonton Avenue and Readers Digest editorial works

Any time you photograph for a national magazine it’s a real treat for a photographer. I have been commissioned in the pas to shoot for readers digest, and I always enjoy shooting for them. First off the story is almost always a “feel good” piece, second because they are based out east, I am almost always left to my own creative methods to shoot for them.

They really don’t like the over lit “look who many lights I have” cheesy photos so may photographers shoot. Digest allows me to shoot a lot with natural light, or simple lighting setups used by masters like Avedon. Infact I have to stand on my soapbox right now.

I am shamed that in Alberta many photographers do not even know Avedon’s work. Many shooters think “whoever uses the newest lighting technique dictates who is a pro or not”.

We are so involved in the technical side of photograph in here Alberta we lose sight of why we are talking the photograph and what makes a good photograph. I think if more pros need to take the time to learn about the past of their craft simplify their work and not worry so much about , speelights stobes, gary fong light domes, 3 point lighting, the latest Photoshop filter etc, basically all the gadgets we supposedly “need to” use today to make a photograph…

Hey the gadgets work, and have a time and place, I mean I own several enlinchrom ranger packs, and most of the aforementioned gadgets, but at the end of the day each is only used when the shoot needs it. Ok off my soap box now.

In this digest piece I was really proud because I got the content page, as well as a decent spread in the mag, always a boost for a photographer.

And if you are reading this and you don’t know who Richard Avedon is, head out to your book store and pick up some of his collections.

Anyways enjoy!

C

No comments: