Monday, June 7, 2010

Seamless Shooting



A few weeks ago Kevan Morin from moreinmind (the guy who designed this website and Trevor Schneider my brother who is a fine art action figure photographer) dragged their butts out of bed on a Saturday and helped me photograph an random idea.

Typical me. I get an idea. Sketch it out and eventually have to shoot it.



The concept is of two guys making life more difficult than it needs to be. About a year ago I sketched out the image. I usually post my sketches either at the studio or have them hanging around my house to see if the ideas stand the test of time. This one did.

It's not really a photograph though, but a digital composition of several different images merged into one final image.
Although I am happy with the result I cannot call this a photograph, it's a digital rendering.

Originally I wanted to rent a section of a fence and shoot it on location, but I could not find a field with the winding path way, so I had to create it with two photographs.




Once that happened I figured what the hell, I might as well go all the way.

So I found a house a few blocks from my place that had this chain link fence. Next I grabbed Kev and Trev and brought them out to the location to shoot.

We (they) set up two chrome-a-key blue seamless paper backdrops. A word of caution to photographers using seamless outdoors is a bad idea, the slightest hint of wind sent them toppling over.

Eventually we decided to anchor the seamless backdrops to the ground with alot of bricks, and cut "wind slits" in the seamless so the wind could pass though.




Once the now crappy not-so-seamless was set up, I had the guys act out a series of movements over the fence. I made sure the time of day and angle of the sun was consistent with background images so the rendering would seem somewhat realistic.
Then I merged the images together in Photoshop.
Enjoy.
C

1 comment:

DarkByke said...

Awesome! Love the process, it's great to see you accomplish what you set out to do, and learn a few things while doing so.