Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Process



My Process.

I have been asked a lot recently about my creative process when it comes to shooting people. Considering I am not the most conceptual shooter, I always begin the preplanning phase with a sketch. Even if it’s a simple portrait session a rough sketch allows me to pre visualize the final image then plan accordingly. This sketch is a basic idea, it also helps me decide how I am going to light the photo. I also use this sketch to help determine the location, cast the talent and find the props necessary for the shoot.

This sketch also serves as an advance pre-vis for the make up artist. This way they can see what I am looking for and how I am going to frame the image.




Often though the final image will differ from the sketch but at least I have a starting point before I shoot. Here is a sketch from a shoot I did with Paul Brown of the Bear. I also included some production notes.

You can see in this image that the image did infact change. The girls on the frame right are facing each other in the final image, and in the sketch one girl is facing away. Also in the sketch the girl on the left is holding an apple, but I choose a pear for the final image. Paul himself is also holding a Barbie doll in the final image, where as in the sketch he has his hands on his knee… I found when I was shooting the “awkward hands on the knee pose” is just so damn cliché. (Side Note : If I see another photo of awkward people sitting on a tacky couch with their hands on their knees I am going to throw up! Its not original its lame.)

One last thing. Did you notice that my sketch was horizontal, but the final image vertical? This happens alot. I often sketch in landscape then shoot vertical.

anyways

ps (if people enjoy seeing these sketches, let me know and I can post some more from previous shoots and discuss them, as I always keep my sketches for future refrences)

Enjoy!
C

2 comments:

DarkByke said...

Interesting process! I find it really hard to sketch, when I don't have a place to start from.

Rob Trudeau said...

I have to say I love your work and as a self taught photographer I really enough seeing how other pro photographers plan out their shots. Keep the sketches coming.

Thanks,
Rob
Pic Your Angle Photogrsphy