Friday, February 26, 2010

My Photography Process Again

MY PROCESS AGAIN

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and requests to see more on my process for shoots.

I was going to post another set of images from the Olympic atmosphere here in Vancouver, but decided on posting one more on my process.

This is a series done of a girl named Jen. A fantastic model who I knew had a great tattoo I wanted to show off. The tattoo was on her ribcage and required some preplanning to ensure that she and her art work were represented in the proper way. So I decided to kind of work off of a lighting style of Leibowitz. One light, simple and grey background. The key to this shot was the models expression. The lighting was pretty basic, but that's kind of my thing anyways... You can see from the sketch that I think its pretty much bang on framing wise.... If you try hard and try to visualize my crappy sketch you can also see that my lighting was also pretty close.




I really don't like using "back light or hair light" in studio... The reason for my leeriness to use the back light are... I find its overused for one... but second... its misused more often than not, so portraits with a hair light often look like over lit lame school photos. There are of course some shooters like Nigel Parry who are absolute masters with side and back light... But they are rare.




Please forgive my sketchy notes... They were only be meant to be read by me... Thanks again for all the emails and feedback about my blog.




Enjoy.

1 comment:

DarkByke said...

Awesome! Thank you. Been looking at a lot of your work, following in your footsteps so to speak.