Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dr David Schindler



I just had to share this story.

The best thing about being a photographer is the opportunities we get to meet fantastic people. It’s a privilege infact. But this past week I missed the boat on an opportunity to really get to know a fantastic subject.

Last week I was commissioned to shoot a three photo shoots for Readers Digest. One of the Digest shoots had me photographing Dr David Schindler.

Now usually I try to lean as much as I can about a subject before I shoot them. But in this case I was so bogged down with shoots, I had no time for background research.

All I knew is that Dr Schindler was a high-ranking Scientist at the UofA. So I turn up and shoot him in about 40 mins...

As it turns out a few days after the photo shoot I find out from another Digest subject that “Dr Schindler is an internationally celebrated scientist who has won several awards. He once won an award which gave him $1 million dollars, he then selflessly put all that money back into his research." I was floored at that comment.

I can’t believe my best question to Dr Schindler was - "Dr Schindler, could we put some glass beakers in front of you? I think it would look cool for the photo." Dr Schindler just looked at me and said "sure no problem," He was one of the most humble men I have ever had the pleasure to photograph.

Enjoy.
C

No comments: