Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Denise Lefebvre

Last week I had the please of shooting artist and painter Denise Lefebvre. www.deniselefebvre.com A talented artist Denise specializes in the areas of drawing, murals, portraits and paintings. It took a bit of time to organize a shoot with Denise as she always had something going on whether it was a mural unveiling or finishing up jobs for clients. Finally however we managed to set something up.

Since I pretty much had free reign on this shoot, I wanted to shoot Denise in black and white. But when I arrived at her studio I couldn’t help but shoot in color. I dont know why but I just made the move to color.

One thing I really enjoyed was being in Denise’s studio. It was very inspiring, paintings were all over the place, rows of oil and acrylic paint were accessible, canvasses, easles, paint brushes all of it was all there, in a messy organized manner.



I have always felt that photographers have been artists. Although while watching Denise work with paints and a brush, I suddenly felt unfortunate that we as photographers have somewhat “lost touch” with our craft. In the past we used to develop our film on our own, develop our own pictures, work on them by dodging and burning them etc… back in film days we were very much "in touch" with our creations... and now we just tap keyboards, and look at pixels on a screen. As a commercial shooter we often never actually print our own work... there’s something sad in that.











No comments: