Sunday, March 7, 2010

Photographing Edmonton Mayor

Photographing Mayor Mandel.

The problem with spending 6 days at the Olympics in Vancouver, is having to make up the work you delayed for my Edmonton clients when I returned home. So last week I completed 9 separate shoots in 5 days. The last shoot of this past week was with Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel.

Often on many shoots I am bound by strict art direction, which isn't a problem, but sometimes it strips your creativity. But the portrait session I had with with Mayor Mandel was a complete open book. So I shot the way I wanted to, black and white, tight... very very tight, lots of shadows and tack sharp...



Normally when you photograph a politician their communications director or dept is all over you with what you can and cant do... and the politicians always have to be smiling. I have been fortunate in the past however that I had free reign to shoot my style with the past two Alberta premiers, and fortunately now with Mayor Mandel.

(candid of the mayor shot with 35mm)



Whether you agree with his politics or not, Mayor Mandel is a super cool subject. He showed up in high spirits, pretty much did whatever I asked, but more importantly knew exactly what I was going for. His communications person was also very cool, and trusting that my style would not skew the image of the Mayor.

(pic of me with the set up at edmonton city hall)



The shoot lasted 5 minutes, not because Mayor Mandel didn't give me the time, but because I nailed what I wanted out of him in 10 frames. I think he was kind of surprised when I told him I was done. No point in over kill, especially when you get exactly what you want.





Enjoy!